Blaming the bottle

There are still plenty of unanswered questions about Efren Carrillo’s midsummer night’s romp. One recurring question from readers is why he wasn’t tested for alcohol. Some contend he got special treatment. Bear in mind, he wasn’t driving, so he had to consent or the police had to get a warrant for a blood test.

In an exchange with one reader, I suggested that a prosecutor may not want those results. Why invite a twist on Dan White’s “Twinkie defense,” perhaps a variation on, “There have been times when I’ve been in a drunken stupor. That’s why I want to see the tape. I want everyone in the city to see this tape. I don’t even recall there being a tape or video. I want to see the state that I was in.”

No, no, no, there isn’t a tape of Carrillo running around in his drawers in the middle of the night. Not as far as I know anyway. That quote is from Rob Ford, the mayor of Toronto, another politician caught behaving badly.

After months of loud denials, Ford was confronted with a videotape showing him smoking crack. “Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine,” he finally admitted, according to an Associated Press account. But he’d like people to believe he isn’t to blame because he was sloshed.

So, in cases such as these, would a prosecutor or a defendant benefit from a blood test buttressing a claim of alcohol-impaired judgment?

– Jim Sweeney

8 Responses to “Blaming the bottle”

1. Paulo says:

What do they have in common? Quite a lot as it turns out. Both of these guys are progressive, liberal politicians. Both have egos that are out of sight. Both believe they are untouchable.

Both of them don’t give a damn about their voters or the public. Both of them don’t care about the honor they were given by those voters who elected them to high office.

Both of them show us that we need to be careful where we place that “X” the next time we vote.

Both of them need to be removed from office.

Both of them have serious personality issues.

2. Robert James says:

The only thing one can say about the Carrillo case is that Sonoma County protects it’s Pervert’s.

3. Papa ESoCo says:

Sigh, am getting a bit weary with the whole “Captain Underpants” Soap Opera. Do not see nearly enough commentary about the Lady awakened at 3:40 AM to someone rustling her curtains. I am willing to bet she still has nightmares and trouble feeling safe, in her own home. May she get some Justice, please.
    Yea, “The Captain has a booze problem, that is the least of his problems and did not lead to being in his underwear outside her house. He has a Respecting and treasuring women problem. He should be in jail, rather than facing a misdemeanor for “Peeking”.

4. Sonoma Gone Crazy says:

I do not believe Efren Carrillo’s behavior was alcohol related. It is more in keeping with a character flaw. His old Facebook account was removed, but there were complaints on that Facebook page from at least one other woman in regards to inappropriate behavior at a bar in downtown Santa Rosa. She was very angry at his behavior and found him quite offensive. He has a pattern of treating women poorly. This is not something you “dry out”. This is an issue you deal with therapy, or if you do not it will be repeated.

In the meantime, why do the female citizens of Sonoma County have to deal with him as an elected official of this County? We get he doesn’t care. But why doesn’t anyone else in the County Government care?

5. DON says:

Let the bike coalition get behind the recall! How about the professional protesters that are involved with the shooting? Where are the women’s groups that get behind any cause that will get them print? BoDean protesters? The BOS had members crying about the shooting, but not one thing about Captain Underpants!

You ALL have lost your creditability on this one! We see how you operate and I will never listen to anything you have to say. Shame on You!

6. Reality Check says:

It’s become popular to find a medical reason to account for any personal failing, especially when facing some jail time. And since addictions are no longer considered the personal responsibility of the addicted, a claim of alcoholism works well.

Usually, we consider the driver of a car who kills someone while intoxicated more guilty than a sober driver who makes a mistake. For reasons unclear to me, Carrillo gets a break because of his drinking.

7. ZERO Representation says:

If it were ANYBODY else would they receive the same treatment that Efren Carrillo received? I think not. That should speak volumes.

What a complete waste of tax dollars for a slap on the hand. I wonder if Mr. Carrillo’s new neighbors feel safe around him. I wouldn’t.

8. Elephant says:

Most definitely this case would highly benefit from a blood test.

It was reported that the police did not administer a blood-alcohol test to Mr. Carrillo because they did not observe him as being “under the influence”. I would think that they know how to accurately assess that sort of thing. Yet subsequent to his arrest, Mr. Carrillo went into rehab, claiming that the incident was caused by his alcohol abuse.

A blood-alcohol test would tell us the truth as to whether Mr. Carrillo is telling the truth or are the police that arrested him either lying as well or incompetent. And by the way. Does anybody have any real proof that Mr. Carrillo actually went to rehab or if he just took a month-long paid vacation?