Will you vote on June 5?

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”
– Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame catcher and king of the malapropism

Your local polling station is one place that won’t be too crowded come Election Day. And chances are many, perhaps most, of us who stop by will be old enough to have watched Yogi Berra play ball. Ditto for those who drop their ballots in the mail.

The candidates know it. Some of them count on it. When he visited with our editorial board a few weeks ago, supervisorial candidate Ernie Carpenter said, “We’ve done our research. We know who’s going to vote, and we’re talking to them.” According to Carpenter, 80 percent of regular primary voters are over 50. He thinks that gives him an edge against his 31-year-old opponent, Efren Carrillo.

Tom Kelly drops his ballot into the box at Herbert Slater Middle School in Santa Rosa in 2008.

Norman Solomon also knows that most primary voters don’t come from Carrillo’s generation. The west Marin congressional candidate just posted a video ad/endorsement from actor Mike Farrell, a veteran Hollywood peace activist. (You can see the video here.) Farrell is best known for playing Capt. B.J. Honeycutt in the TV series M*A*S*H, which went off the air when Hollywood hawk Ronald Reagan was president and Carrillo was in diapers. Farrell, like Yogi Berra, may be ancient history for the Internet generation but not necessarily for voters in the June 5 primary.

Besides who is going to vote, candidates are focused on how many people will vote. In the general election four years ago, turnout in Sonoma County was 93.4 percent. For the 11 primaries since 1990, the average turnout is 52.2 percent. But that figure is skewed by turnouts of 64 percent and 65 percent in 2000 and 2004, when presidential primaries were held in March in a bid to wield greater influence over the nominations. Excluding those two elections, the average turnout is 49.7 percent for presidential primaries and 49.5 percent for non-presidential primaries.

This year’s election is a presidential primary in name only – Barack Obama is the only candidate on the Democratic ballot, and Mitt Romney already wrapped up the Republican nomination. Of course, the Green Party has a three-way primary featuring yet another name from Hollywood past, Roseanne Barr. I’ll spare you a video link to what Time magazine described as “quite possibly the worst rendition of ‘The Star-spangled Banner’ ever,” performed by Roseanne at a San Diego Padres game in 1990. That’s a case of déjà vu that no one wants all over again.

– Jim Sweeney

21 Responses to “Will you vote on June 5?”

Skippy-still haven’t proved your point, no links. Volunteer to work the polls. Get an education and a clue. See how it’s done. You get paid $100 for a 14 hr day. Then speak up about election fraud.

I work the poll near my home-long, hard day on uncomfortable chairs. I get to say hello to my neighbors and their dogs and children. I’ve been impressed by how organized this county is. I’ve yet to see any sign of voter fraud.

2. Skippy says:

I can see the headline now.
    “Voting ruled important! States scramble to comply with logic and reason! Photo Identification seen as key to identifying fraudulent voters! Democrats shocked by ruling; claim women and minorities will be hardest hit! DOJ refuses to enforce ruling stating ‘we don’t need no steenkeen ID cards at DOJ so why do the peasants need them…except to gain entrance to any Federal building?’”
    Name the important activity one can engage in that does not require photo ID.
    We’ll wait.
    (crickets)
    Anyone defending current voter ID laws is defending the indefensible.
    Photo ID is free to anyone who wants it.
    Only those supporting voter fraud object to these common-sense laws.

Skippy, you are behind the times. It is a proven fact that all Acorn did was register voters. Those registrations were vetted, like all registrations are, by the counties’ voter registrar offices for validity. Mostly Democrat but Republican were registered too. That’s a fact. Don’t tell lies.
    It was a problem for Republicans because most of the people unregistered are the poor, minority, students and aged. The same potential voters that the Republicans are trying to keep from voting today all over the country. NOT THE ILLEGALS-that’s myth.

PROVE IT. Give us REPUTABLE LINKS.

4. Skippy says:

Steve,
    My question concerned the epidemic of Democrat vote-fraud documented all over America.
    One cannot do anything of any official importance, including entering the State Capitol, without showing photo ID.
    Democrat vote-cheats cast hundreds of thousands of phony, illegal ballots every election cycle, then the Democrat DOJ unilaterally puts responsible voter ID laws on hold for fear the phony-voter scam will be discovered.
    Here in Sonoma Co. a person simply has to state a name that is on the voter roll, and they are handed a ballot. No election official will ever ask to verify the persons identity. They simply take their word for it.
    This is beyond outrageous, and Democrats have stolen many elections using this scam over the years. Ever hear of ACORN?
    Frankly, with so many elections being stolen by Democrats and their operatives, I’m not surprised to hear an honest person is abandoning their voting power out of sheer frustration.
    Democrats are stealing the nation through illegal voting practices.

5. Edgar A says:

I Suggest we try something new! Support all Liberty Leaning Candidates: Like Rick Williams for Senate, and Stewart Cilley for Congress 5th congressional district, and Ron Paul for President. My family is personally tired of War Mongering Republicans, Over Regulating Democrats. How about we give Liberty a chance.

6. Steve Klausner says:

@ Skippy

A provisional ballot is used to record a vote when there are questions in regards to a given voter’s eligibility. A provisional ballot would be cast when:

* The voter refuses to show a photo ID (in regions that require one)
    * The voter’s name does not appear on the electoral roll for the given precinct.
    * The voter’s registration contains inaccurate or out-dated information such as the wrong address or a misspelled name.
    * The voter’s ballot has already been recorded

Whether a provisional ballot is counted is contingent upon the verification of that voter’s eligibility. Many voters do not realize that the provisional ballot is not counted until 7–10 days after election so their vote does not affect the calling of the states to different candidates.

A guarantee that a voter could cast a provisional ballot if he or she believes that they are entitled to vote was one of the guarantees of the Help America Vote Act of 2002.

7. Steve Klausner says:

No my act of removing my name from the voting list is an action and it took effort. Can’t do that on Face Book even if you been dead 10 years.

There is no one I want to vote for or against, Republicans are terrible and Democrats are worthless.

And, I reserve the right criticize and complain about whoever the rest of you sheep elect.

I’ve also shorting gold and oil and buying corn.

Yes, not being part of the

Error, it’s “you have no right to complain if you DON’T VOTE”. Typos always get me in the end.

I work the polls and I can say that the Republicans always show up. So Democrats and Independents, get your behinds (euphemism) off that couch and go vote. It’s too late to register for the primary, but again, get your lazy a**** (euphemism) off that couch and register for the November election. THEN VOTE.
    We can only change things if we pay attention to the world around us, get knowledgeable about the candidates, don’t swallow everything we hear without researching the truth, know which candidates REALLY represent us and VOTE ACCORDINGLY.

There are people in other countries who envy us our ability to vote for representation. And we sit on our a**** (euphemism) and don’t vote-whether out of disinterest, or political irritation, or laziness, it’s wrong.

You have no right to complain if you vote. Voting gives you that right. Voting also gives you power. Candidates have been elected by the difference of a few votes. Your’s might be one of them.

10. Name with held to protect the untaxed says:

Don’t vote? Heck I took it one big step further, I quit paying taxes. You want my services, it is cash or barter. Most of what I buy is online. I am stuck paying property taxes and gas taxes but that is about it.

I strongly object to how this money is being spent and will not feed the machine.

11. Richard Smith says:

As stated by others here, if you don’t vote, you can’t complain about the results of the election. Our system is certainly not perfect,never has been,and is totally corrupt. Most elections are won by the ,” lesser of two evils”, candidate, or the politician who spent the most money. Study history, it’s always been this way. You certainly can’t have a say or change anything by not voting.

12. Steve Klausner says:

Don’t vote, it only encourages the bastards.

13. Skippy says:

Mr. Sweeney,
    A more relevent question would be “who will vote illegally on June 5th?”
    Try this: go to your polling place and ask them how they know that you are who you say you are?
    I’d love to hear the response you get.
    I wager you won’t like what you hear at all.

14. Kirstin says:

I have already returned my absentee ballot. I did not vote for any incumbents, and I urge other voters to do the same. We have to purge our civic institutions of the people who have caused the systemic problems by their herd mentality and adherence to the idea that spending money endlessly is what government does. We need serious reform and those in office now will not give it to us.

15. If anyone has any questions about CA State Assembly please contact me at drgunderson@hotmail.com

16. Money Fish says:

@ all posters. I understand how you all feel. The entire Democratic political machine in Sonoma County is so corrupt and incompetent to manage and administer for the public good it’s very depressing. @ Steve K…..some where along the line it will turn and we all need voices like yourself so a painful as it is try to vote the the best alternatives and if please keep venting.

What really is depressing is that the PD has political liberal activtists pretending to be journalists.

17. Skippy says:

Well, I guess that’s one way to compound your irrelevance.
    I assume you will be doing no complaining for the next 4 years as well.
    Only players get to contest the calls, not the audience.

18. Richard James Emory says:

Vote no with your feet. Don’t continue to feed the machine in Sonoma County and Sacramento that is destroying the county and state with spending, debt and doing nothing about public unions and pensions.

These candidates want your attention diverted to the environment and anything else except what is the reality, a failed local economy, public pensions gone wild, growing unemployment and a blooted government bureaucracy.

Anyone you vote for in the current crop of candidates just means more of the same and the same is killing our economy and the state.

19. Camino Alto says:

I really wish that I could vote “None of the above” for my State Assembly race. But yes I will be voting both in June and in November. Just not in that race.

If you’re disgusted with a politician, vote to get them out of office. That’s why I hate to see Jared Huffman try to become a career politician. I’ll vote against him and help whoever runs against him in November.

Anybody that doesn’t vote has no right to complain about politics. I vote and I bitch. We have had numerous local elections in recent years decided by less than 50 votes so each vote does count. And just think about how many countries in the world that have no opportunity to vote. Use it or lose it.

20. BigDogatPlay says:

All who do not vote abdicate utterly and completely any right to complain about the results.

End of story.

21. Steve Klausner says:

No I won’t be voting in June or November. I’ve requested that the Registrar of Voters remove my name from the voter’s list. This is a personal protest.

I have volunteered and worked door to door for state, county, and national elections starting with John Kennedy at the age of ten. I have gone out of state to help elect presidents.

I am disgusted with the lot of you in office. National, State, and County. I will not support any of you any longer in any way.

Sign outside my house is checked none of the above.