By KEVIN McCALLUM
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
The council on Tuesday will hear the company’s appeal of the Planning Commission decision last month denying the chain a permit to operate a restaurant with drive-through service on the site of a former Burger King.
Observers expect the council to overturn the lower board’s decision, which resulted from a 3-3 vote with one member absent.
City planning staff members support the company’s plans for a 4,400-square-foot restaurant, noting that its layout is pedestrian friendly and its drive-through is well designed. Drive-throughs are allowed in the city with a use-permit.
Planning Commissioners Curtis Byrd, Vicki Duggan and Caroline Banuelos all opposed the project because of the drive-through. They said the feature was unnecessary and incompatible with the neighborhood’s goals for a pedestrian-friendly community.
Other commission members said they thought the restaurant was well designed, would create jobs, would replace an eyesore and was appropriate for a busy city artery like Mendocino Avenue.
In its appeal, Chick-fil-A, based in College Park, Ga., pointed out the restaurant will be oriented to the street and will include abundant landscaping and 20 bicycle parking slots vs. 6 required by city code.
A traffic consultant estimated the restaurant would generate 2,158 vehicle trips per day. The company has said it expects to serve about 50 percent of its customers at the drive-through.
The appeal is a public hearing slated to begin at 5 p.m.
You can reach Staff Writer Kevin McCallum at 521-5207 or firstname.lastname@example.org.