Sebastopol’s smoking law doesn’t apply to medical marijuana

By BOB NORBERG

Users of medical marijuana have been exempted from a smoking ban that Sebastopol has imposed on apartment dwellers.

The City Council on Tuesday unanimously approved an amendment to its July anti-smoking ordinance that removes medical marijuana from the definition of smoking.

The anti-smoking ordinance, aimed at second-hand smoke, requires apartment owners to write no-smoking restrictions into all new leases and imposes a smoking ban on other renters within 14 months.

A similar ban for apartment dwellers has been enacted by Sonoma County supervisors and proposed for Santa Rosa.

Sebastopol already prohibits smoking in workplaces, bars and restaurants, retail stores and in public areas such as parks.

11 Responses to “Sebastopol’s smoking law doesn’t apply to medical marijuana”

1. Very Large Fish says:

Sebastopol’s flakiness does apply to the rest of the world.

2. Cyndi says:

This is a horrible decision and has been my fear ever since pot has become legal to use in some situations. I support the use of pot for medical reasons (and decriminalizing it in other cases), though I don’t use it myself.

I have severe asthma set off by even a small amount of cigarette smoke (primarily from the chemicals in cigarettes, not the tobacco itself, though that isn’t good for my lungs either). I welcome laws restricting cigarette smoke as a matter of disability access.

I don’t react to pot smoke in the same way, though yes it can set off asthma. The problem with pot is that you can get high off of second hand smoke. Something that no one should ever have to deal with, without giving their permission. And, no, smoking outside does not protect people who are choosing not to smoke.

There are alternate ways to get the medicinal (and other) effects without lighting up. Not all pot users may prefer those methods but, if the decision is between their personal preference and keeping people from unwillingly breathing in smoke with pronounced effects on their mind and body, well, it’s a no-brainer.

3. John bly says:

This is good news for the local food industry-more demand for munchies!

4. Skippy says:

How about Roofies and Red Bull?
    Are they cool with that?

5. GAJ says:

Yes, but can you smoke your meds at Council Meetings?

Sounds like a “yes” to me!

Pass the Dutchie!

6. Jim says:

Just so I understand…the LEGAL cigarette cannot be smoked in my own apartment but I can smoke ‘medical marijuana’ in my apartment, even though it is illegal per the Federal government.

Makes sense in bizarro world Sebastopol.

7. Average Joe says:

Unbelievable, completely and utterly unbelievable.

8. David says:

I am allergic to pot smoke. How do I get a law passed to keep people from smoking it anywhere near me???

9. sheryl says:

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. Second hand pot smoke is ok for kids, but not tobacco smoke? Just plain stupid! You know our state is screwed up when they limit the use of a legal product, but protect the use of an illegal one. Medical marijuana…yeah right.

10. Social Dis-Ease says:

AGAIN, INCREMENTALISM; 2 steps forward and 1 step back, IS STILL…
    ONE STEP FORWARD.
    The oppression march continues.

11. Pearl Alquileres says:

So what’s new?

Try lighting up a cigarette at any major indoor venue in the Bay area & watch security run past all the pot smokers to reign down there wrath upon you.

Of course those people are surely just medicating themselves to help them deal with their medically diagnosed Agoraphobia.