How would Prop. 19 affect you?

Do you have an opinion on Proposition 19, the November ballot initiative that seeks to legalize marijuana in California? We want to hear from you.

Perhaps you are a parent who has concerns about how your child will interpret the new law, or a “closeted” pot smoker who looks forward to the day when you can consume marijuana more openly. Maybe you work in law enforcement, or use marijuana for medical reasons. We want to hear your stories for possible inclusion in an upcoming article. Please send an e-mail to Staff Writer Derek Moore at derek.moore@pressdemocrat.com. Please include your name and a contact number where you can be reached during the day.

10 Responses to “How would Prop. 19 affect you?”

1. Kosher says:

Marijuana needs to be legalized. It needs to be taxed. The income growers and street dealers make currently is untaxed income. Over 15 billion dollars a year enters the underground economy from California illegal marijuana sales. That is income and expense which needs to be reported on taxes. The growers can come above board, pay their taxes, or get out of the business. The cartels can go back to Mexico, and we can end this vicious cycle of crime and punishment for something which should have never been criminalized in the first place.

I know that growers hate this proposition. I know the dispensaries hate this proposition. I know Meg Whitman hates this proposition. Strange bedfellows fighting to preserve the current state of prohibition.

2. matty says:

vote no on this…i truly beleive the passing of this bill will send a flood of cartels to ca to produce mass to relocate it somware els, I do beleive in medical and think it is good the way it is. no need for prop 19

3. Jeff says:

The 18th Amendment gave a huge boost to organized crime and made outlaws of many ordinary people who drank but who in all other respects were not outlaws. The last 50 years of prohibition against drugs has done exactly the same, with devastating consequences both in the U.S. and around the world. We have the highest percentage of any nation of people in prison, and over 50% of these are there because of drug laws, while the real narco-terrorists have greatly influenced governments in many countries (e.g Mexico, Columbia, Afghanistan) in a very bad way. People who are inclined to become addicted will do so regardless of whether it is legal, while giving billions to organized crime. Why not try legalizing it, regulating it, taxing it, and finally funding adequate healthcare and recovery resources for those who eventually find that recreational drugs are not the answer? Our current system punishes U.S. and global society far more than it does users.

4. bear says:

Question one is how cops distinguish between someone who is under the influence of marijuana NOW vs. someone who might have smoked 30 days ago. I understand they have a saliva test for this now.

The underlying question two is this – if you get in a serious traffic accident and they detect pot in your system (from 30 days ago) – are they going to charge you with DUI? With all the legal and insurance consequences? Until this issue is resolved, there is a problem.

Having said all that, if you gave me a choice between an oncoming car full of wine-tasters vs. pot smokers, I’d pick the pot smokers every time. They would be the more cautious drivers, and I think everyone knows this. Provided you don’t mix alcohol with marijuana, which is not a good thing while driving.

Isn’t the point to stay out of jail, help the sick, avoid violence associated with growing and collect more taxes?

Given the state of California’s economy, if you’re rich and oppose this measure, then expect to pay more taxes. No whining.

5. Frank says:

I know it’s time to make Cannabis legal but prop 19 isn’t it. If you read this legislation it imposes mandatory 3-7 years in prison for a 18 year old that passes a joint to an 17 year old. That’s mandatory a judge cannot change that. If you think 3 years in prison is a just punishment for that action then by all means vote yes…
    I’m voting NO…the punishment doesn’t fit the crime as prop 19 is written. If you want 18 year olds in our prisons for passing a joint to a 17 year old for mandatory 3 years something is seriously wrong with you.

6. James says:

I’m sick of lining the pockets of dealers and dispensaries. The prices are absolutely outrageous! The profit margin for these people is incredible, I look forward to the days when I can purchase marijuana legally, safely, and on the cheap! I battle depression and insomnia, the only choice I have is to self-medicate as the cost of doctors visits and prescriptions are even more cost prohibitive than street-sold weed. Marijuana has been decriminalized in Europe and Canada without any negative social impact, why must the USA remain so far behind the rest of the world?

7. CannabicBob says:

We need to finally legalize this safe and necessary gift from God. It will be the end of the paranoia that hits us herb loving smokers. Being able to raise our own gardens will drop the price and rid the land of these illegal growers from the Mexican drug cartels. Smoke dope and hope, YRS ON 19

8. Legalization won't translate to acceptance immediately says:

I’m 50 years old, have been a pot smoker since I was 16. I have held extremely responsible jobs, continue to be an active contributor to my community and many many people in my world will likely be surprised to learn that I am one of \those people.\

I hope we legalize it, and I can’t imagine what it will be like to begin to let go of the secrecy and intermittent anxiety that comes with what in my case is a preference for a high over alcohol. I imagine that even if it’s legal, it won’t immediately, if ever, change the moral judgment of pot use. Propaganda has for years tried to portray marijuana use as a gateway drug experience, and admittedly for some that has been the case. I believe, however, that has more to do with a predisposition for addiction than with the substance itself.

That said, I don’t know that I’ll immediately run around with iPot shirts on or whipping out joints at social gatherings. That part of the change will take some time, I expect.

I’m not looking forward to the increased political messaging against Prop 19 — one more avenue to foment fear and hostility over nothing.

9. cough cough says:

I will be voting no. Prop 19 has major flaws in it and will just add to the legal problems caused with the passage of Prop 215. Marijuana legislation has to start at the federal level by allowing states to set their own laws. Then we can set them. Not before.

On the personal side, I am highly allergic to the smell of marijuana and especially its second-hand smoke. It immediately makes me nauseous with a nasty headache to go with the stomach ache. I can smell it outside from at least 50 feet away. If Prop 19 passes, more people will think that it’s legal to smoke in public whether it is or not. Your pleasure gives me pain.

However, I firmly believe that people with a real medical need for marijuana (cancer, glaucoma, chronic pain) should be legally and easily be able to purchase it. It’s just that there are far too many people self-medicating themselves, with and without prescriptions, that have an emotional desire for it rather than an honest medical need for it.

10. Sonoma Sam says:

As a parent I certainly hope they finally legalize it! How can I make my kids understand they just need to wait until they are adults to avoid the consequences resultant of using weed too young when the government makes it look as bad as PCP or Meth?

I also heard this has some sort of effect in Mexico with violence. Leave it to our government to find a way to make something as peaceful as weed into a killer.

Nobody is going to stop smoking pot, we know that, so how come all our money for weed has to go to the drug lords instead of finishing the 3rd lane on 101?

I buy my weed legal now with a doctor’s recommendation and the money goes to local growers and the taxes to the state. You would not know I have been buying legal now for years and this law has little effect on me now, but it should would be nice not to villify it so we can REALLY talk to our kids about it.