Zane speaks out on anti-Arizona vote

Sonoma County supervisor Shirlee Zane (PD file)

In a letter to The Press Democrat today, Sonoma County supervisor Shirlee Zane explained her recent vote against an Arizona firm.

Click here for a related story on supervisor Efren Carrillo’s vote on the same issue.

EDITOR: I would like to explain to my constituents why I voted against awarding a recent contract to the Arizona-based company Republic Services. Some have criticized this vote as prioritizing the needs of Arizona residents above our own constituents’ interests. Yet nothing could be further from the truth: The vote we cast that day was for a local company that offered the lowest bid for the services we sought.

County staff recommended awarding the contract to Santa Rosa-based company SCS Engineers to coordinate re-permitting activities for long-term disposal of waste at our central landfill. In addition to being local, this company offered the lowest price — an impressive 39 percent below what was offered by the out-of-state alternative, Republic Services. SCS Engineers was clearly the best choice for county residents and taxpayers.

As elected officials, we believe it is critical to speak out against this.

SHIRLEE ZANE

Sonoma County supervisor, Third District

44 Responses to “Zane speaks out on anti-Arizona vote”

1. Jay says:

I’ve read most of this thread and don’t see a single example of hate.

In fact, spewing that dissenting opinions are fueled by “hate” does more damage than good imo.

Not really against Zane or Carillo’s vote either, but we’ve clearly jumped the shark and stopped talking about the issues and have descended into a pool of broad brush attacks and reclassified them as political arguments… Well done!! (go negative, go early!)

Oh, and I’m very much not anonymous. :)

2. Mike B says:

I don’t have much respect for either side in this argument. I agree that Zane should be clear about the reason for her vote. If it’s about immigration, she needs to say so, and explain why this takes precedence over local concerns like the cost and reliability of the service. On the other hand, the whole discussion about immigration in itself (on this thread) is tinged with absolutes and name calling on both sides. More heat than light. It’s another case of everyone yelling and no one listening. Not very good for the body politic.

3. NOT anti-immigrant at all says:

Noah I disagree with your basic premise that it is somehow the fault of the US citizens for the state that Mexico exists in today. Your argument is based on platitudes and conspiracy theories.

You speak of compassion; if our policies were based solely on compassion and not the protection of the individual rights and property rights of our citizens then why should we stop at providing health care, welfare, and education to Mexican nationals…let us provide them to every third-world country. There are certainly countries worse off than Mexico let’s take them under our wing as well.

Mexico is responsible for its current condition do not blame me, especially when your evidence is based on these so called “secret government deals”. If someone like you is privy to such deals, how secret are they?

4. Noah says:

I am not for illegal immigration. I am for compassion. I am not for disregarding our laws; quite the opposite. I agree the laws need to be enforced fairly, without discrimination.

But there are laws that the people make which are occasionally unjust, such as legal slavery and women not being able to vote! That’s why we have a Supreme Court. It is the SCOTUS’ job to look at laws we make and keep them within the confines of American constitutional and socially just precepts. That’s why we had the Boston Tea Party-it was an unfair law the Bostonians were rejecting. Sometimes, the law does not get it right, and we need to change it.

If we had not de-stabilized Mexico’s farm production, if we had not passed Nafta, if we had instead contributed to the welfare of everyday Mexicans rather than to the welfare of multinational corporations and big business crooks, I don’t think we’d have an illegal immigration problem anywhere near like the one we currently have.

We have a good measure of responsibility for the conditions that cause them to risk what they do to come here. The outsourcing of good jobs was the beginning of this, because we allow business to oppress people in developing countries in order to keep a cheap supply of labor, and meanwhile we lose good jobs here.

So American workers lose from both ends-the wages here go down as the good jobs disappear, and we get an influx of people whose country has been economically and ecologically decimated.

To blame the Mexicans who sneak in here seeking a life they can survive, in the face of all that is happening to us as well as them, is the ultimate in shortsighted, self-destructive ignorance.

Of course we have laws, but they need to be changed, don’t they? There are times when it is imperative to see a greater good. Our country will be stronger when we can find a way to include them, one that supports what we stand for instead of a false, narcissistic sense of pride.

Repeal Nafta. Have Mexico pay their own people fair wages instead of using them for our big business’ slave labor. Then they won’t need to come here, and when we tell American businesses that they better support American workers and start making quality stuff again, things will indeed change. But throwing them in jail will not fix the problem. It is only the symptom you defeat then, not the cause, and the problem will just reappear.

I think if someone recognizes the truth of my argument that going after the workers is not going to the cause of the problem, then continuing to support the AZ law, even under cover of wanting to enforce the law, is fundamentally racist. Because you would be using something you knew to be untrue to justify your real intentions.

The other possibility is that the Mexican working class IS the cause of all these problems. Really? Seriously? You’re going to say our secret govt deals to uphold Mexico’s corrupt regime, the trade deals that make the multinationals uber-rich, the filth and squalor that the Mexicans have to live in outside our \factories\ there, our dealings in currencies, our de-stabilizing their agriculture with non-replicating seeds, our tolerance for the kind of life they are forced into, these things do not matter, don’t cause the problem?

I don’t like change very much either. It’s hard to take. But what we have done to them is much worse than what they’re being forced to do. Enforcing policies that continue this blight on human beings is absurd. A spade is a spade. It’s time to put the blame where it belongs.

5. Karla Sofen says:

All the “sanctuary” cities that pass laws along the lines of “we won’t uphold Federal laws” are no different than Arizona’s law which explicitly states, “we will enforce Federal laws.” Why is it so politically correct to defy Federal law and oppose enforcement of Federal law? Would these same immigrant be less affected if a Federal rather than state officer arrests them?

And who is affected here? Are there really legal immigrants being arrested for no reason and getting deported because of racism against Mexico? No one can bring the alien registration card to the police station before they get all the way back to Mexico?

And I get pulled over all the time for stuff. They don’t ask me for my birth certificate, they ask for a driver’s license. Are we in a police state because the police ask for papers? The government is always asking you for papers and making you get licenses and permits all the time in every facet of life. So why is the demand for papers so shocking all of a sudden?

And even when we do deport an illegal it’s not like they are being sent to the gas chamber – they go back to that wonderful culture of Mexico they want to establish here. You know the place with strong families, hard workers and national pride. It’s a tough argument to make that your culture and your country is so great and you should be allowed bring it here – except for the fact you couldn’t survive in your own country and had to come here.

Zane and Carillo should be recalled. Just work on the school system okay? Get all that graffiti cleaned up. Get the dump working. Fix all those County roads. Do the things County governments are supposed to do. Keep your pandering to your fund raising events where people expect to get their A licked.

I think ICE should show up at the next fund raisers for these Supervisors and start checking papers. There is a Federal law called “misprison of a felony” so maybe a little Federal scrutiny of these supervisors is warranted.

6. Ricardo Sorentino says:

Your points are well spoken, but you and Lisa still miss the point of the original article and my complaint, which was Supervisor Zane explaining that she voted for the services of a local company because “In addition to being local, this company offered the lowest price — an impressive 39 percent below what was offered by the out-of-state alternative, Republic Services. SCS Engineers was clearly the best choice for county residents and taxpayers.” Valid reasons, and fair enough.
    But then Zane wants to turn her vote into a moral-conscientious one regarding her views on Arizona’s policies regarding illegal immigration. (Like the state of California and the county of Sonoma don’t have their own serious issues to contend with, we need to get involved with another state; let’s fix some of our own issues before meddling with Arizona.) I myself have no problem taking a stand: I am against illegal immigration, and it would seem that you and Lisa are for it. And when I say ‘illegal immigration’, I’m not putting any specific race into the equation, so while Lisa wants to grandstand and use her favorite code word of ‘racism’ to incite anger in people that agree with her views against people that don’t agree with her, it just shows me that the facts must not be on her side. If they were, she would be able to hold a back-and-forth discussion without having to play the ‘R’-word just to make her point.
    When you state “Mexicans have been exploited beyond comprehension and by US companies and policies”, I agree, but the fact is they wouldn’t be exploited if they weren’t here illegally in the first place. It’s a lot harder to exploit someone when they are in another country. (And you conveniently forget the fact that many of these illegal immigrants exploit our social system, to the point that the state, counties and cities are bankrupt.) I absolutely feel that we should enforce our existing laws as to employers intentionally hiring illegal immigrants, with severe consequences to the employer. Let’s stop employer exploitation by enforcing our current laws.
    Lastly, when you state “I think we all have to ask ourselves what kind of people we want to be, and what kind of world we want to live in”, I know that I want to live in a nation that has laws that are enforced equally and fairly, but no matter what, are in fact enforced. We have a system that allows for legal immigration to this country and into this state; no specific individual groups should be allowed a free pass into this state because they don’t want to take or make the legal effort and go through the process. And in fact, California has already given out free passes: it was called ‘amnesty’, and where has that gotten us? Oh, I know, the desire to offer it again to millions more of illegal immigrants.

While we can continue to go back and forth on the issue of illegal immigration, maybe we should base it on some newspaper article that the basis of the story is illegal immigration, or Arizona’s immigration laws, and not one that was regarding why Supervisor Zane originally voted on a local issue and then later turned her vote into promoting her personal agenda. Or maybe I missed something; when she stated “This vote also gave us an opportunity to speak up on an issue that is near to our hearts and to many throughout our county and our nation: Arizona’s immigration legislation opens the door to racial profiling and exacerbates existing prejudice against immigrants. As elected officials, we believe it is critical to speak out against this.” Did she state this at the time of her vote, or only after the fact in a Press Democrat follow-up article because she thought it would look good in print?

7. Karla Sofen says:

This is exactly the kind of politician that needs to be voted out. This is political pandering at it’s worst. This kind of mind needs to be out of politics. Fix the streets, run the jails, arrest the bad guys, clean the graffiti, get our school system back in order – then worry about Arizona.

Besides, if illegals and/or Mexicans came here and universally voted Republican, this lady and Obama would be in favor of even tougher laws to keep them out.

All politicians who abandon their duties to pander shamelessly like this need to be voted out on general principle. It clearly shows they are unfit for office and acting in their own selfish self-interest, rather than the interests of the people they represent.

There is no other purpose for this kind of thing than trying to appeal to race and swing a few Mexican votes your way. It’s time to start recalling some of these people who show their stripes so clearly.

8. Noah says:

@Ricardo: It is perfectly appropriate to sometimes make generalizations. We often form groups for common purposes, and sometimes we can recognize qualities common to numbers of people, i.e. racists. When Lisa talks about these groups, or what she sees as common threads in posts, she is commenting on a social condition which she sees as needing to change. I’m pretty sure, if she wants to attack you personally she will do so. That said, you do have a point; you may be uncomfortable if you feel included in a group or condition to which you do not belong, and you have every right to dissociate yourself if that is the case. Also, of course she is “pushing [her] agenda”. Aren’t you doing the same, and isn’t that what this site is about?

My first comments on this site supported enforcing the law, but not racial profiling. I saw the difference between simply being a law and order person, which is natural for my sensibilities, and having a more generalized sense of altruism. But Lisa’s posts pushed my buttons, and made me think. I had to ask myself, why am I so fervently supporting the AZ law as if there were no emotions involved? I could only admit to some deep nativism, which is hard to acknowledge.

Because of Lisa, there are questions I now have to ask myself; is this a good response for me to have? Does it help the situation? What would the consequences be if the law were left in place, enforced, and applied to the whole country? Am I actually a little racist? Why do I feel like this?

The answers are complex. It is natural to feel a shock when cultural change happens. It is usually left to succeeding generations to adopt new ways as comfortable to them, but change is inexorable. We can’t stop it.

Mexicans have been exploited beyond comprehension, and by US companies and policies. They are simply people who desperately need help. For us to ignore their plight and to refuse humanitarian aid, despite our comfort zones, is unconscionable.

Lisa is quite outspoken, and sometimes she pisses me off. But good for her. She makes me deal with real issues, buried deep, and I am a better person for it.

I think we all have to ask ourselves what kind of people we want to be, and what kind of world we want to live in. The answers to those questions rarely fit who we are at the moment. It makes you a better person to allow that process to happen.

9. Ricardo Sorentino says:

For the record, Lisa, none of my posts have any ‘cut and paste; I actually know how to type, so again your making assumptions and then stating it as fact, but your wrong.

Tisk, tisk, , still spewing misinformation and highjacking peoples posts to fit your agenda. I get your point, but absolutely will never accept your ridiculous claims that anyone not on ‘your side’ is racist. People can in fact be pro-immigration laws and not be racist, but then that doesn’t fit the ‘profile’ that you want to label people with if they disagree with you.

“I am very tired of the ignorance and stupidity and racism that the issue of immigration brings, but even more despicable than those who at least acknowledge their hatred honestly are those who want to advocate hateful and discriminatory policies and yet still be loved and viewed positively as a patriotic American who is “just concerned about “the law”. You notice they never advocate for fining or criminalizng or jailing the businesses that hire illegals, just the people who do the work.” (BTW, you’ve got a couple of typo’s in that paragraph.)

I’m even more sick of people like you that will do or say anything to push for your agenda and be so quick to attack. (“…those who at least acknowledge their hatred honestly”) Clearly, you like to take multiple posts from numerous people and somehow make them fit into my original post. Your certainly entitled to your view on this issue, and I’m entitled to mine, but you just show your ignorance when you bring up things that were NEVER said by me. It’s really quite simple; if you want to reply to a specific post, then keep your remarks in the context of what was actually said in THAT post, not combining multiple remarks from multiple posts to somehow substantiate your reply to my post.

As for your last sentence in the above paragraph, wrong again: I firmly believe that employers who hire illegal’s should be fined and even serve jail time after just one offense. No question that going after the employers who illegally hire illegal immigrants would make a big dent in the problem. I’ve always wondered why the wineries in Sonoma, Mendocino and Napa counties get a free pass. No illegal immigrants to pick the grapes, the fruit, the vegetables, so the cost to the consumer goes up? No problem with me; we all pay the prevailing price on everything else on the table, in the house and parked in the garage, why not what we eat? And who knows, maybe the cost increase would be more than offset by Californians not having to pay for DBT cards, school lunches, and free medical to illegal’s. And while you’ll soon be busy, typing away your response to more (LOL) ‘hatred’, remember I did say ‘illegal’s’ as in ‘illegal immigrants’, not blanketing the legal Hispanic population.

Which brings me to my last point; illegal immigration hurts everyone in the long run, even the legal Hispanic immigrants, by forcing down the wages that employers pay.

10. ann unangst says:

not heaters……….just sees how our schools and medical is falling apart because of illegals……….when will Americans stand up and say enough….is it too late………then Zane….I saw that coming……..remember to vote

11. Imagine a state where the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants happen to be white. Imagine this state passes a law requiring police to investigate a person’s immigration status if (s)he is “reasonably suspicious.” While it is likely to catch a lot of illegal immigrants, it’s also likely to lead to a lot of legal immigrants being questioned and even detained merely because they are white. Imagine the traumatic experiences this is likely to cause for a lot of elderly whites and young white childran. To ignore these consequences would seem insensitive to whites, even racist. Now, change the word “white” to “latino” and we have Arizona; and the law is just as bad. The question becomes, what should be done about it?

12. Lisa Maldonado says:

Mr Sorentino
    Please read the post (you cut and pasted it without reading it) It states clearly “and other posters” and then goes on to quote from those assorted posts on the board. No one who has any degree of reading compreshension is imputing any thing to you that you haven’t said. And why don’t you take a moment to audit your own postings for some much needed self correction instaed of mine, since you are the one who originally attacked me stating that I “always” (always is a BIG word Mr Sorentino, I’d be careful about that) turn “ANY and EVERY”(more untrue generalisms) issue into a hate issue. You have also labeled my opinions “filth”

13. Ricardo Sorentino says:

“Mr Soretino and many of the anti immigrant posters are the ones that want to have it both ways. They want to be free to support laws that target and profile Mexicans and Latinos but they don’t want anyone to call them on their racism. Sorry if the word hater seems offensive, but the “go back to Mexico”, “race traitor” and “anchor baby” comments are the polarizing ones as are the comments here about “illegal invaders”. So Mr Sorentino, save your sadness for your own side… I knew the “haters” would come out of the woodwork (as a Mexican-American who has read California history this isn’t the first time I’ve seen this anti immigrant spectacle.) And they have.”

I see Lisa is still all about spewing filth and false allegations. Just because people want ‘legal immigration’ in California doesn’t mean we are racist. There is absolutely nothing in my post that states legal ‘anti-immigration’, ‘go back to Mexico’, ‘race traitor’, or ‘anchor baby’.

Lisa, don’t take my posts and turn them into you furthering your agenda. When you reply to someone’s post, try responding based on only what was actually stated in the post, not making things up so you to fit your agenda. Don’t hurt yourself, but time to climb down that soapbox of yours.

And when you reply, as hard as it may be for you, stick to the ‘posted’ facts.

14. John McDonald says:

It is so sad that you feel you need to justify your vote for a local company. It is even sadder that you need to bring Arizona politics into our county. I guess as a democrat, you feel you need to to side with the other liberal who feel sorry for the illegals. Illegals from any nation are breaking the law. We have laws for a reason and please remember that in your voting. Can you not see that Arizona was sick of the current federal response and needed to make a change?

We elected you to manage our county and please keep your nose in our business and let other states manage their own laws!

15. Lyn says:

>>The US-Canada . . . . studies have shown time after time that more people spew through that border illegally than the US-Mexico border.<<

What studies? The estimates of illegals residing in the US by country of origin are:

Mexico – 6.6 million; El Salvador – 510,000; Guatemala – 430,000, and so on.
    Does anyone think that most of them crossed into the US from Canada?

The estimate of Canadians living here illegally is: 65,000 to 75,000.

The idea that the disproportionate deployment of border guards on the Mexican border is motivated by race is, well, just silly.

16. Zuma says:

Good try Zane! Sorry, the democrat line is not believable even by most democrats!

Knowing that the overwhelming majority of illegals are Mexican would you expect police to stop only blue eyed blondes in Arizona that speak Swedish or with a Swedish Accent?

What ordinances have you put forward to get illegals out of Sonoma Cty?

17. Noah says:

Go after illegal employers and the U.S. corporations that run maquiladoras (http://geography.about.com/od/urbaneconomicgeography/a/maquiladoras.htm) and ship our jobs overseas, and the “illegal alien” problem will disappear.

What won’t disappear is the lack of vision and compassion shown by you folks who want to blame desperate Mexicans for the problems your closed eyes have let happen. Life doesn’t get better for you or your kids by vanquishing whole races or countries full of people; you only move on to the next “problem” like the tailgater on the freeway who yanks his car around you, only to find another car in front of him (or her). Are the Iraqis better off because of our bombs? Are the Afghans better off? Then it was gay folks who were the problem, and again, Mexicans.

It is possible that illegal immigrants are not really harming our economy overall, but you won’t consider that possibility. It is also possible that they are harming it, but we cannot find facts and deal rationally with the situation when you are predisposed to react negatively first and not seek the facts.

The Mexicans who cross the border illegally are risking their lives, leaving their country/family/friends. They are leaving their whole life behind. Why? Because they want to go on welfare here? Would you move to another country where you don’t speak the language and try to go on welfare there? Or pick vegetables in their fields?

You are trained to see things the way your sources want you to see them. Are your sources making you a better person? Do they teach you love, generosity, compassion? Or do they teach you hate, anger, and division? It is rewarding to get really angry because then you feel alive. But it is ultimately thoughtless and stupid and self-destructive.

I do not support illegal immigration. But I do support an equitable solution, one that includes them in the human race, because in the end, I want others to consider me too (and no, I’m not Mexican). Really folks, getting rid of illegals is not going to change the kind of people we are, and it is the kind of people we have been that has put us in this mess. I thought we were better than that.

I salute Lisa Maldonado for having courage and integrity. It is easy to speak out when you know a lot of others agree with you. It is not so easy when you have little agreement. And, she speaks for people who seek justice and fairness. And I mean justice in the wider sense of just, human treatment. The kind of treatment you would want for yourself. We broke it. We should fix it.

18. NOT anti-immigrant at all says:

I personally have no problem with immigrants per se, and in most of my personal politics tend toward a more libertarian bent which in its purest form would have no restrictions whatsoever on immigration.

However, our institutions (i.e. welfare, medicaid, etc) create entitlements that make pure, unfettered, market-driven immigration untenable. If one comes here and automatically signs on to the dole having never paid into it, it becomes only a matter of time before those who do pay into it will have to pay more.

The analogy is often drawn between the immigrants of the industrial revolution and the immigrants from Latin-America today, but the aforementioned institutions did not exist then (nor did income tax of any kinds).

States like Arizona and California are going bankrupt trying to pay for their share of Medicaid (usually 50%) and providing other entitlements to people who are here illegally. The U.S. has one of the most (if not THE most)liberal immigration policies in the world. You can talk about immigration reform, but I’ve yet to hear one person describe what that would look like. Anyway, what good would reform do if we won’t even enforce the rules we have in place.

Regarding Ms. Zane’s statement, this is pretty obvious pandering. She had a perfectly rational, defensible reason for her vote, but for some reason felt the need to “me too” Mr. Carrillo’s sentiments. I think most people see through that.

Lastly, Ms. Maldonado uses the tired straw-man ‘anti-immigrant’ attack….I am personally not anti-immigrant and I suspect most of those she attacks are not not either. You would think that someone who attended law school would be wise enough to stay away from fallacious ad hominem and straw man arguments.

19. Beef King says:

So it is understood that Ms. Maldonado is in favor of an elected official interjecting personal politics into the business affairs of the county? As a representative of so many hard working Sonomans, this is a powerful statement.
    If so, I must say I disagree with that, as it is an unnecessary distraction from the business at hand, and unprofessional to boot.
    How will Ms. Maldonado feel if a supervisor were to express personal anti-union sentiments?
    I suspect the claim of hypocrisy by Ms. Maldonado would not surface in that event.
    While I feel that an apology to voters by Zane and Carrillo is appropriate, I’m not holding my breath.
    I hope there are no more such outbursts of personal politics by local officials, since that is not the job they were elected to do.

20. V.O.R. (Voice of Reason) says:

I’m fine with any non-racist “fixes” to illegal immigration, assuming it’s applied to BOTH borders. The US-Canada border is the largest unprotected border in the world and studies have shown time after time that more people spew through that border illegally than the US-Mexico border.

21. Lisa Maldonado says:

@Jhak Scchiddt…did you want me to “stick to the topic of the discussion at hand” in the same way that you did when you called my political opinion “trash”? Or are you unfamiliar with the term “hypocrite”? Perhaps you believe in one set of rules for yourself and another for everyone else.

22. Lisa Maldonado says:

Mr Gladstone
    I speak as a trade unionist and an individual.
    However for your information the North Bay Labor Council is part of the AFL-CIO which opposes the Arizona law and the exploitation and harrassment of all workers. You can find out more about them at http://www.aflcio.com.

23. Dave Gladstone says:

Lisa, I know you’re the head of the North Bay Labor Council. Do you speak for the council as a whole, or as an individual?

24. Jhak Schiddt says:

I resent your attack on my name. It is pronounced phonetically as the French ‘Jacques’.
    My family came to America legally in 1792, and we have suffered at the hands of ignorants since.
    Once more Maldonado, stick to the topic please.
    The topic is public officials voting their personal feelings on behalf of the county.

25. Michaele Morales says:

Thank you Shirly Zane and Efren Carrillo for taking a stand on the Arizona issue.
    I for one want my elected representatives to voice their opinions on such issues.
    My respect to both of them.

26. Lisa Maldonado says:

Speaking of trash, “Jjak Schiddt” (hello Ted, sound it out)”Jjak Schiddt” is also what you know about politics or discussion and your jr high school name fits your jr high mentality..

27. Jhak Schiddt says:

When the local garbage company picks up the trash, I hope they have enough room in their truck for the bs and hate that passes for political opinion from Ms. Maldonado.

28. Bonnie says:

Some interesting reading about the economics of immigration for those whose minds dare to open a crack:

29. Bill says:

Considering this company offered the lowest price — an impressive 39 percent below what was offered by the out-of-state alternative,
    Did they use the E-Verify system to check employees’ legal resident status.
    for the contract?
    I dought it.

30. Jim says:

Having actually watched the meeting where they voted, if I recall it was Efren who voiced his opinion about boycotting and Zane jumped on board in concurance.

In no way did either claim it was because the other provider was the better deal. It’s hard to backtrack when your on the record.

31. Lisa Maldonado says:

as the anonymous hate filled posters come out of the woodwork to upbraid others on their fine moral principles, once again I must call attention to the fact that they do so from behind anonymous names. Mr “beef king” especially with his overwrought holier than thou self righteous prose, does not see the irony in his attacking other viewpoints from people who at least have the courage of their convictions and are not afraid to attach their names to their beliefs…but then if my thinking were as ridiculous,racist, nonsensical and illogical as Mr Beef Kings, Michaels and Kendalls, I wouldn’t sign my real name either.

32. Kendall says:

To Ms Maldonado, Your comments expose your blind ignorance to pure political pandering. Shirley Zane has only her own interest at heart, not those she represents.

I can’t wait to vote against her, just on the premise that she is openly two faced and untrustworthly.

33. Michael says:

Although it comes as no surprise in a county run by left-wing zealots, Zane’s pro-boycott stance against Arizona’s illegal immigration law is a disgrace.

Does Zane care about the harm being done to Arizona and its American citizens by illegals? Moreover, the law does not permit racial profiling. The fact that most illegals happen to be Hispanics from Mexico simply means that mainly Hispanics are breaking Federal law, not Swedes, South Africans, people from Korea, or Martians.

How pathetic is it that Sonoma County officials like Zane get riled up when the remote possibility of racial profiling is raised, but say and do NOTHING when confronted with the REALITY that illegal Hispanics murder, rape, run drugs, join gangs and cost our state and county hundreds of millions of dollars.

34. Beef King says:

Why does Maldonado focus on her hatred, and the hatred of others?
    Because it serves as a distraction to the issue.
    In this case, the issue is Supervisor Zane using her position as an elected official to display her personal feelings inappropriately.
    Sorry Lisa, your hate tactics worked in the 60′s but this is the age of the internet, and you’re a political dinosaur.
    Democrat strategy is out-dated as well, since we’re on to the bag of tricks and deception that is offered as a substitute for good government.
    Zane should focus on doing what is best for Sonoma County, and share her personal feelings with those who care rather than put them on display in such an offensive manner.

35. sheryl judge says:

When are our representatives going to start representing us, instead of the illegal invaders? They take and take and contribute nothing but higher crime rates, unimmunized children and fuller classrooms. In today’s economy, we can not afford to have undocumented workers taking jobs from US citizens and LEGAL immigrants. It is not just jobs in agriculture. My brothers are both in the construction business and they have to compete against contractors who hire illegals, making it very hard to win bids. I fully support the Arizone law and will use MY vote to oust anyone who doesn’t. The law is the law. If your job is to uphold the law, then do it, or find yourself another job. If you don’t like the law, fight to change it. But for now you MUST do your job, which, the last time I checked you worked for the citizens of California not Mexico.

36. Lisa Maldonado says:

Mr Soretino and many of the anti immigrant posters are the ones that want to have it both ways. They want to be free to support laws that target and profile Mexicans and Latinos but they don’t want anyone to call them on their racism. Sorry if the word hater seems offensive, but the “go back to Mexico”, “race traitor” and “anchor baby” comments are the polarizing ones as are the comments here about “illegal invaders”. So Mr Sorrentino, save your sadness for your own side… I knew the “haters” would come out of the woodwork (as a Mexican-American who has read California history this isn’t the first time I’ve seen this anti immigrant spectacle.) And they have.

37. Bonnie says:

“You want to represent illegal Invaders go to Mexico.We dodn’t need Traitors here.”

Interesting statement, considering that illegal invaders from the U.S. took Arizona from the Mexicans in 1848.

38. Ricardo Sorentino says:

“…and don’t pay attention to the haters!”

Why does Lisa Maldonado always have to turn any and every issue into a ‘hate’ issue, ‘us’ vs. ‘them’. Just once it would be nice if she could ‘disagree’ and not be disparaging about it.

The fact is, Supervisor Zane claims to have voted for a very specific and valid reason, then wants to spin that into pandering for the Hispanic vote. That ‘vote’ she is looking for is behind some of that $21 billion dollar deficit California that has brought California to its knees.

39. Lyn says:

Yes, it is wonderful to have supervisors with moral principles. But it’s also disappointing we can’t have discussion and debate without one side referring to those who differ as “haters.” Sad.

More important, when will the board actually do something about the disgraceful practice of sending 65 garbage trucks down the freeway 100 miles to dump our garbage in another county’s landfill?

While the “moral” campaign against Arizona is no doubt very satisfying to some, it’s a poor substitute for the board addressing the problems and issues facing Sonoma County.

40. Brooke says:

What are we to make of this pathetic statement? Did she vote for the best deal for Sonoma County? If so, the rest is irrelevant … She’s trying to have it both ways.

@Lisa Maldanado: a “gutsy” stand on an “unpopular” issue?!?! Oh, please. This is pure pandering.

41. Beef King says:

Why does Zane bother with an explanation at all if the contract particulars were such that it was in the best interests of the county to give the contract to the local firm.
    Is it just an opportunity to throw a personal morality rock from her bully pulpit towards those who would enforce a law she personally disagrees with?
    This is a very slippery slope for any elected official to go down.
    Personal politics, like religion, should be set aside during working hours, and applies to supervisors just like it does every other public servant, including Mr. Carrillo.

42. Robert James says:

Vote you out as soon as possible Zane.You want to represent illegal Invaders go to Mexico.We dodn’t need Traitors here.

43. Steele says:

What a load of BS. You can’t have it both ways; vote for the legitimate low bidder and make it look like you are taking a stand on Arizona’s law.
    It is disingenuous to think people are so stupid that they don’t see this for what it is, butt covering and back tracking.
    The FACT is the Arizona law (which I have read)has NO new elements that ARE NOT already required by federal law. None! It makes for great grandstanding but facts are facts.
    So why then are Zane and Corrillo not taking a stand against the federal government? They are in fact the ones that wrote the immigration and enforcement rules, NOT Arizona.
    False courage and cheap talk, someone needs a mint.

44. Lisa Maldonado says:

It’s wonderful to have Supervisors with a conscience and moral principles and the strength of character to take a stand on a difficult and unpopular issue. You have my gratitude and respect! Thanks for being so gutsy and smart Supervisors Zane & Carrillo…and don’t pay attention to the haters !